How do I make "gnome-vfs-obexftp-0.2" work?

pew_from_hobart pewtas at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 04:10:55 GMT 2008

Dear Mikael and the Australian UBUNTU List,

Briefly, Mikael is one of 2 authors of the gnome-vfs-obexftp program which I
have been wanting to install because it looks like it would be useful for me
to make my pc and my mobile phone talk to each other and exchange: phone
numbers, pictures, video and music etc etc.

I think that I have successfully installed it... but I don't know HOW to use
it.

I would welcome any help I can get about using this software.

On 24/01/2008, Mikael Hallendal <micke at imendio.com> wrote:

> 22 jan 2008 kl. 03.25 skrev pew_from_hobart:
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> I'm sorry but I have to admit that I can't remember the steps needed
> to get that installed (or where to put the GnomeVFS plugins).
>
> If you are on Ubuntu Linux you should be able to simply install it with
>
> 'apt-get install gnome-vfs-obexftp'

I entered the command:
    sudo -i

followed by your above command:
    apt-get install gnome-vfs-obexftp

It seemed to work okay and install the software. e.g I think that it worked!

My questions now simply are:

How do I use the software? Is there any documentation for it?

As I mentioned to you (in the email you answered), I'm trying to use a USB
Bluetooth Dongle to talk to my SAGEM mobile phone (and exchange files etc).
I have NOT done this kind of thing before, so I would appreciate any advice
you / anyone can give me.

nb - I'm also posting this message to the Australian UBUNTU list because I
think that it could be of general interest and I'm also hoping that the more
ppl who see my question, the better chances I will have of getting an answer
I hopefully can understand ;-)))

Sorry that I can't be of more help but I have not touched that code in
> two-three years.

I can imagine that after 2 or 3 years it would be difficult to remember
those details ;-)))

Thank You Very Much for the Help you have given me so far!!!

Cheers,