Can I use Debian DVD's to install on Ubuntu

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Jan 21 14:59:21 GMT 2008

Karl Goetz wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 14:12 +1030, squareyes wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I have a 3 DVD set of Debian 4 "Etch", and was wondering if I can use
>> them to
>> install applications like Scribus, Inkscape etc. on Ubuntu 7.04 ?
>
> No is the short answer.
> Not safely, and without causing major long term issues is the longer
> answer.

I beg to differ, with many caveats.  If Etch is older than 2006/10 (before
feisty was synced with dapper) it shouldn't (famous last words!) cause any
upgrades to existing packages - so it shouldn't break anything that already
exists.  If it's newer than that, it still shouldn't be a problem if you
don't _let_ it upgrade existing packages.

However, many times the etch package may just not be installable, and others
it may install broken software.

Far better to just order a copy of the Gutsy DVD.
--
derek