Ubuntu server trouble

Junin Toiro junin.toiro at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 14:32:23 GMT 2008

Hiya Nathan,

By default a server install doesn't come with a GUI (Graphical User
Interface), only a TUI (Text User Interface) which is what your
seeing.

Login and run the command:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

Enter your password when prompted, let it all download and install and
you should be good to go after that. I'm pretty sure GDM will run and
give you a standard graphical login once it's finished installing but
if not you may need to run:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

Or you could just give it a restart.

Enjoy ;)