script in ~/bin

Sebastian Spiess sebastian.spiess at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 09:10:09 GMT 2008

Karl Goetz wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-02-20 at 22:21 +1100, Sebastian Spiess wrote:
>> Karl Goetz wrote:

>> the script I was talking about is only mounting a partition and a crypt container off one of my external drives.
>> So it is no big conplex script.
>>
>> Maybe I missed something else, because when I try to run the script
>>
>> x at y:~$ froff
>> bash: froff: command not found
>>

>> is the answer.
>> I have a couple of other scripts with similar symptoms.
>
> check your path with `echo $PATH`.
> it should return something like this:
> /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games:/home/<yourlogin>/bin/
>
> If it doesnt, add `PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin/` to your ~/.bashrc
> kk

this worked good for my own little helping scripts. they are not complicated just some commands.

but I have a script to start JAlbum as well it gives me
	me at meme:~$ JAlbum
	bash: /home/me/bin/JAlbum: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied

I changed it to bash but the message was the same except for the bash.
The script is actually a link to a different dir, but I have all rights.

when I call sh ~/bin/JAlbum it works?

Cheers, seb