Router/hub Q

Junin Toiro junin.toiro at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 01:28:59 GMT 2008

>On Feb 6, 2008 10:23 AM, James Takac <p3nndrag0n at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Guys
>
> I'm experiencing some probs with my netgear router. That is I assume the
> router is the prob. Basically I can access the net from any computer
> connected to the router but I can no longer get any of my pc's seeing each
> other. Ubuntu to Ubuntu or WinXp to Ubuntu makes no difference there. Also it
> has a nasty habit of freezing on me from time to time so I suspect it's on
> the way out. Likely damaged by the last descent storm to hit my area while I
> was at work. What I'm wondering is, is it just as feasable to connect a multi
> port hub and a single port dsl modem as it is another multi port router? My
> understanding is that it should do the same job
>
> James

Hiya James,

It sounds like an odd problem and possibly a hardware error on your
routers behalf. I'm assuming it's a multiport ethernet router which is
odd, seeing as all machines can access the router itself and not each
other.. Maybe something wrong with the routing tables. My first
suggestion would be to try and factory reset the router or try a
firmware update.

Another thing to think about is potential firewall changes.

If that doesn't fix the problem though your right in assuming a switch
and a single port modem will work as that's exactly how I have mine
setup. Best bet is too assign static IPs for each machine and modem
itself and then set the modem as gateway on your machines once you
have it configured.

Best of luck with it.

--
Sam Jackson / Nandemonai / Junin Toiro