Wireless network card won't connect to router

Sebastian Spiess sebastian.spiess at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 04:52:08 GMT 2008

David Whyte wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed Gutsy on my brothers laptop tonight and everything went
> OK, except the wireless network card doesn't seem to work too well.
> It can detect my network and when I select my router using Network
> Manager it pops up the encryption key dialog.  I enter the key (i use
> 64Bit Hex) and the icon in the status tray shows that it is trying to
> connect, however, it always fails.  Sometimes, after trying a couple
> of times, NM crashes and the laptop starts to behave wierd (i.e.
> System tools don't show when started, commands run in the terminal
> fail to execute, etc) and I have to reboot.
>
> I don't think this is a driver issue as I am at least finding the
> router and it identifies that it is encrypted, but I have been stumped
> all night.  I am using the acx driver, since this is a D-Link DWL-650+
> PCMCIA card.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?  Would it be worth trying the Ndiswrapper
> and would that still behave OK with NM?  Is Ndis as hard to configure
> as all the different How-Tos make out?
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Ta,
> Whytey

getting wireless to work with WPA2 was a pain in the first place and I have still some strange symptoms.

symptom 1 is at my current configuration I am running WPA2 with 64bit key on feisty, when I want to connect with my win XP
booted the key doesn't work... it just wont connect. same thin at my dads place, his network is windows only, feisty would
not connect with the original WLAN password chosen.... after a change it worked.

I would suggest to try to get it running without any security... then enable MAC filter... then enable encryption....

the two links below helped me lots http://www.michaellarabel.com/?k=blog&i=129
and
http://www.debianadmin.com/enable-wpa-wireless-access-point-in-ubuntu-linux.html
but I am unsure which one did the trick...

good luck

seb