[Fwd: Re: What VM technology to use?]

Daniel Mons daniel.mons at iinet.net.au
Thu Aug 14 00:08:01 BST 2008

Karl Bowden wrote:
> able to fault it. Dont get me wrong. I still think Xen is the best
> solution for businesses, but with it's flakey 32bit support in ubuntu
> and lack of out-of-the-box support for nvidia gpus, although it runs

I should mention that KVM's "solution" to the Nvidia thing is to pass
kernel level instructions from the host to the guest.

This is not "support" for Nvidia GPUs, but rather a dirty and (if you're
a purist) slightly insecure hack to make this work.

Xen on the other hand does no such thing, ensuring that no kernel level
information in the guest be shared with the host.  End result is until
Nvidia (or other GPU manufacturers) themselves add proper and correct
Hypervisor support at a hardware level, Xen will most likely not support
this level of hardware abstraction.

With that said, Xen was designed from the get-go for server
virtualisation.  3D offloading is not a focus of theirs for that very
reason.

-Dan