[Fwd: Re: What VM technology to use?]

Daniel Mons daniel.mons at iinet.net.au
Wed Aug 13 12:21:56 BST 2008

Cary Bielenberg wrote:
> I guess the main problem from my perspective is documentation & "spit &
> polish" of Xen & KVM makes it hard if you only administer 10 odd
> machines, It's ok if you eat sleep & breath these apps but to the
> sysadmins who have to multi skill it is almost prohibitive to setup.
> What I'm trying to say is Vmware is bundled so that it is easy to
> implement! I want to use open source solutions & am sceptical of
> commercial companies who have "free" & commercial offerings. I want to
> try the alternatives but to say the least KVM is a pig to implement
> considering *buntu has made this the default. I googled for how to's but
> there was a fair bit of ambiguity & confusion in the implementation.

I'm struggling to understand why you consider it "a pig" to use these
things.

Virt-install and virt-manager make installing VMs about as easy as
falling off a log.  And if you insist on pretty pictures, OVirt is for you:
http://www.ovirt.org/

If you only need desktop virtualisation (not server side stuff), then
use something more purpose-fit like VirtualBox (also free):
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Screenshots

Honestly, if the only thing holding you to VMWare is a pretty GUI, get
out there and check out the competition.  VMWare is fast becoming
redundant due to their technology rapidly becoming commoditised.

ArsTechnica have a marvellous write up on the situation:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080711-a-victim-of-its-own-success-troubled-times-ahead-for-vmware.html

VMWare's glory days are long gone, and they face stiff competition from
a rising number of free competitors.  Even if you live and breathe
VMWare, my suggestion to you is to at least learn an alternative before
VMWare vanish for good.  :)

-Dan