[Fwd: Re: What VM technology to use?]

Dave Hall ubuntu at skwashd.com
Wed Aug 13 11:37:37 BST 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 19:40 +1000, Cary Bielenberg wrote:
> I guess the main problem from my perspective is documentation & "spit
> & polish" of Xen & KVM makes it hard if you only administer 10 odd
> machines, It's ok if you eat sleep & breath these apps but to the
> sysadmins who have to multi skill it is almost prohibitive to setup.
> What I'm trying to say is Vmware is bundled so that it is easy to
> implement! I want to use open source solutions & am sceptical of
> commercial companies who have "free" & commercial offerings. I want to
> try the alternatives but to say the least KVM is a pig to implement
> considering *buntu has made this the default. I googled for how to's
> but there was a fair bit of ambiguity & confusion in the
> implementation.

What information are you missing about implementing KVM?  I will try to
blog a complete howto using libvirt (and if needed virt-manager).  I do
it all a bit manually, but it works and I am happy to share it with
others.

If there is a genuine need for it, I will put something together in the
coming days.

<insert-poll-here />

Cheers

Dave