What VM technology to use?

Dave Hall ubuntu at skwashd.com
Tue Aug 12 11:12:21 BST 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 20:07 +1000, Cary Bielenberg wrote:
> I'm currently knocking up some virtual servers at work, I will be using
> Hardy x64 on HP DL585 servers (dual amd processors, 16Gb ram etc) I have
> used the free Vmware server 1.6/Hardy on other boxes but I fell that
> that performance leaves a lot to be desired. Today I tried KVM but it
> seems a pig to setup. I want to run 2 x Citrix/Win2k3 on 1 server & 1 x
> Citrix & 1 x Hardy on the 2nd. What is the consensus to what is a good &
> intuitive setup VM solution?

KVM with libvirt running on the server and virt-manager on a linux box
controlling it works well for me.  I have 2 boxen running this setup.  I
hand craft my xml files for libvirt.  It is also the easiest way to get
bridged networking up and running.  Keep in mind that you do lose some
KVM config options when using libvirt - use friendliness always has a
trade off :)

Cheers

Dave