NAS - recommendations please

chris dinneen chris.dinneen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 01:03:16 BST 2008

I have tried FreeNAS in the past with some success. I *would* recommend it
for beginners as it has a web based GUI that allows you to set up samba, NFS
and Apple shares very easily. It also supports nearly all RAID variants ( 0,
1, 5, JBOD, 5+0, 5+1, 0+1, 1+0, etc. ) and a host of other things (the
latest version supports encrypted drives and has a bit-torrent client).
However, it is based on FreeBSD so the learning curve can be quite steep. I
use an old box at home with a bunch of HDD's and that. Works well. The only
problem some people seem to have with it is support for NTFS drives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeNAS

Cheers
Chris