Lost samba share

David Ryder davaweb at bigpond.net.au
Sat Aug 9 01:08:38 BST 2008

Hi,
HARDY - clean install
I have a problem with samba on one of my linux boxes. As succinctly as I
can:

1. Installed samba (with DHCP), configured and set permissions. Great -
XP and linux boxes could connect to this box.

2. Installed massive updated (500MB +), rebooted

3. xp could still access the linux shares.

4. Installed gnucash and wine - xp and other linux boxes can no longer
access MyFiles on this linux box. I am not saying these are the cause -
just the point in time when other boxes could no longer access My Files.

5. Reinstalled samba config file and permissions. Added access to my
cdrom.

6. All other boxes can now access the cdrom but not MyFiles.
The xp error message says They do not have access privileges.

7. Re-checked Usergroups and permissions - OK.

8. Googled, searched forums - read documentation - found nothing
relevant ...

Any ideas please, good folk?

Also, if I have to reinstall, the updates are massive on size (affecting
my adsl allowed usage). Is there a way to just download them somewhere I
can keep them and then use them again and again if necessary? This is
only because if I have to reinstall a few times to solve this problem,
it would be much better to download once, if you see what I mean.

Many thanks,

David