Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy Heron" now shipping

Daniel Mons daniel.mons at iinet.net.au
Fri Apr 25 05:54:10 BST 2008

Tim Neill wrote:
> is anybody else having trouble getting the downloads to work for Hardy?

Ubuntu gets more and more popular with each release.  Expect all mirrors
worldwide to be utterly hammered for at least the next few days.

My suggestion is to grab it via bittorrent:

http://torrent.ubuntu.com:6969/

BitTorrent as a protocol increases aggregate bandwidth as demand
increases.  It solves it's own problem of delivering bandwidth to
high-demand networks, versus static http/ftp servers which crumble under
high load.

I used BitTorrent to grab all 6 CDs (desktop, server and alternate in
i386 and x86-64 flavours) today in just a few hours on my DSL
connection.  There are many thousands of seeds out there in all countries.

-Dan