Eee-PC 900 in AU?

Cefiar cef at optus.net
Wed Apr 23 06:24:06 BST 2008

On Wednesday 23 April 2008 12:44:59 David Whyte wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 11:40 AM, Sebastian <sebastian.spiess at gmail.com>
wrote:
> >  I've read on a new site that the upcoming Eee-PC 900 will sell for 549
> >  US$ starting on 12. May.
>
> The 900 model hasn't been released in AU yet.  It is the one with the
> 9" screen I believe and the reports I read had it scheduled for a May
> release date here.

The difference from the 701 is pretty simple:
 Bigger screen (8.9")
 Higher res (1024x600)
 More ram (1GB)
 More disk (20GB if you buy with Linux)

> I don't know what the price is, but I would rather
> wait for the (hoped) Atom powered EeePC, which should be here in a
> couple of months too :)

From what I understand, after talking to a number of industry people, while an
Atom version is coming, I wouldn't expect it in the next couple of months.
IMO, it'll be at least 4+ months, if not longer.

Personally, the thing that was stopping me buying a 701 was the disk space.
I've got a LOT of mail, and it just wouldn't fit in the approx 900 meg you
have free after installing like eeeXubuntu on a 701 (4GB). And the whole
point for me was so that I had something lightweight with all my mail on it,
a web browser, and a few other useful tools (eg: ssh, kismet, an IM client,
etc).

Now the only thing stopping me from buying one is the fact that they're not
yet available here. :(

 Stuart Young - aka Cefiar - cef at optus.net