Sun to certify it's servers for Ubuntu?

Daniel Mons daniel.mons at iinet.net.au
Sat Apr 5 14:08:38 BST 2008

Dave Hall wrote:

> Well lets look at recent history:
>
> * SPARC Will not be a supported platform for hardy - see
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2008-March/000400.html
>
> * Dapper was certified for the Niagara based SunFire T2000s, but then
> Sun changed the hardware to make to RoHS compliant, and it stopped
> working, and it remains unfixed today.  A few months after Edgy came out
> it was "supported" by Sun.
>
> So I would wait for there to be a bit of a track record before getting
> to excited about this.  Say a LTS release or 2 which provides full LTS
> for the advertised platforms.

Speaking for myself only, SPARC doesn't interest me in the slightest.  I
would hazard a guess and say the vast majority of folks who are using
SPARC based gear will be running Solaris anyway.

I'm much more interested in Sun's x86_64 gear.  Sun have recently
dropped the price of the x86 blade gear.  And as I mentioned before,
having it available "off the shelf" with Ubuntu and MySQL *AND* that
ever-important, CIO-satisfying "support" is something that's got my
interest peaked.

-Dan