streamlining for eee pc

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 05:25:09 BST 2008

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Les Gray <lgray at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

>  Am Mittwoch, den 02.04.2008, 08:07 +0800 schrieb Senectus .:
>

>  > >  James
>  > You're probably better off just jumping right to the pre-optimized
>  > distro for it, eeeXubuntu:
>  > http://wiki.eeeuser.com/ubuntu:eeexubuntu:home
>
>  Was gonna suggest eeeXubuntu, too. A post about installing a slightly
>  newer kernel is also available on the eeeXubuntu forums at eeeuser.com.
>  This has better hardware support all round and has USB suspend turned on
>  by default, so you can put your eee to sleep with a mounted SD card in
>  the slot and not have it go haywire.
>
>  There's not much to remove from eeeXubuntu. Apart from adding lots of
>  multimedia and network apps that it doesn't ship with, I think the only
>  software change I made was uninstall Abiword and replace it with
>  Openoffice. And even with a bilingual install the space taken up was
>  less than 2.5 GB.
>
>  However, I'm sorry to say that I found the wifi still too flaky for my
>  needs. So for external use I slapped a (gulp) nLited WinXP on the SSD
>  and now run eeeXubuntu for home use only, off a 4GB SDHC card. This
>  probably has more to do with my uni's network more than anything,
>  because I know there are plenty of happy wifi-using eeeXubuntu users out
>  there :) I did also find eeeXubuntu a bit slow to boot, which is a
>  hassle given the eee's nature as a portable device. :(

Would love to see someone stick Hardy on it..
I'm running the Beta Hardy 8.04 on my Home machines and it's a bloody
ripper. Best Beta OS build I've ever used... faster and very stable.
Boot and shutdown times are greatly improved as well...

--
Ubuntu Hardy 8.04
The less you know, the more you believe. - Bono