after gutsy upgrade synaptic broken

Steve Lindsay stephen.a.lindsay at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 03:47:32 BST 2007

Hi David,

On 10/24/07, david <daljo at gotalk.net.au> wrote:
> After the gutsy update I get this message from Synaptic Package manager
>
> It is impossible to install or remove any software. Please use the
> package manager "Synaptic" or run "sudo apt-get install -f" in a
> terminal to fix this issue at first.
>
> I have tried this and It does not fix
> This is what i get after responding Yes to whether I want to go ahead.

There is a bug reported with the same symptoms here:

The report includes a workaround:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/154992/comments/3

"2) manually kill offending daemon" means to take the number that is
output from the previous step (the process id) and using that as a
parameter for the "kill" program. So you'd do:
sudo kill x
where x = number output from step 1

(Note: killing processes like this is normally not the right way to
solve a problem, but you seem to have encountered a bug so it's
forgivable this time :)

Give those steps a try, if you still have no luck post back to the list.

Cheers....Steve