Hardware problem: Dead desktop

James Takac p3nndrag0n at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 23:26:40 GMT 2007

On Saturday 10 November 2007 12:31:59 Mark M Lambert wrote:
> Hi Leslie, thanks for your reply. The computer is about 3 years old,
> assembled by myself from bits and pieces so no warranty (didn't keep
> receipts). I don't have a spare video card, foolishly threw away when I
> moved house 2 months ago! I live in St Peters, about 10 mins from the
> Sydney CBD.
> Specs:
> Intel PEntium 4 2.4GHz
> 512Mb DDR RAM (one stick)
> Gigabyte GA-8S648FX mobo
> Unknown brand low-end Nvidia card near-new
> Samsung DVD burner
> Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 hard drive
>  .. and i've just noticed a bad burning smell coming from the CPU...
>
> :(

Hi Mark

Best way I've found to test the system is to strip the mobo down to just the
cpu, i.e. remove all cards, drives, memory, etc and power up. You mentioned
no beeps on powering up ealier, is there a pizeo (sp?) speaker attached to
the mobo? If not you wont get beeps regardless. Anyways, gradually add back
one thing at a time (assuming the mobo powered up and gave the single quick
beep to signify all is ok) powering up after each addition to see what breaks
it so to speak. Another possibility is that your power supply is gone, even
one supply rail failing in it will stop the system functioning properly. If
you ever get intermitant failures on some hardware, check the power supply as
it's likely dying. These days I keep a cheap power supply as a spare to test
with. I suspect the culprit to be either your power supply or the mobo. A
failing video card usually gets a beep code from the mobo to warn you. No
beeps at all would suggest a possible nother board failure imho

James