Swap going 100 mile an hour virtually freezing PC rsvg-convert

Rapael Morcha raphael.morcha at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 01:25:17 GMT 2007

On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 09:50:12AM +1100, newcr wrote:
> Thanks Rapael
>
> Whenever this problem occurred I was not using graphics (including svg)
> programs.
>
> I did look at removing librsvg2 (I think it is) but there are too many

It's librsvg2-bin and not librsvg2. :) librsvg2 provides shared library where as librsvg2-bin provides rsvg-convert.

> dependencies and programs (that I need) would be removed (lots). Also tried
> re-install.

Try above and see.
raphael at f9:[~] sudo apt-cache show librsvg2-2;
VS.
raphael at f9:[~] sudo apt-cache show librsvg2-bin;

> Side note, only real SVG program I need and use is Xara (Not sure if Gimp
> has SVG plugin). I use Gimp the most and Xara for certain things with my
> business.

I am not sure about Gimp and Xara. The furthest interest I have in Graphics is that I know I've used Gimp to edit some of my personal photographs. ^_^

> Still haven't had the opportunity to confirm if rsvg-convert is the source
> of the problem yet.

When the same thing happens, check for PPID of 'rsvg-convert' in 'ps -ef |less'. (PPID is Parent Process ID - the process that spawns a child process, in this case the child process would be 'rsvg-convert', shown by PID)

> The other note: Being on dial-up (have signed up for broadband a month ago
> -  whenever it comes), I have been adding a lot of programs (through
> standard package manager) with lots of partial installs because of dial-up
> drop-outs. Also another potential area I may have caused problems is trying
> to install the DVD workaround (libdvdcss2) by using scripts from a couple
> of sites like

One way in dial-up is to use wget/curl. If there's a drop-out and you can get auto-connected again, wget/curl can download it from where it left off. (try kget/gwget)

Go to http://packages.ubuntu.com, select your architecture, search for the software you would like to download.
Say some_file has entries like these (the software you want to download):
http://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/ubuntu/pool/main/x/xclock/xclock_1.0.2-0ubuntu1_i386.deb
http://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/ubuntu/pool/main/y/yelp/xclock_1.0.2-0ubuntu1_i386.deb

raphael at f9:[~] wget -nc -i some_file

The above wget switches will read from the URIs in some_file without redownloading (man wget) the same file and also from where it left off before your dial-up got disconnected.

However, note that, you have to know the dependencies of the software you are downloading this way -beforehand-.

To know the dependencies of a package for e.g., xclock -

raphael at f9:[~] sudo apt-cache depends xclock
xclock
  Depends: libc6
  Depends: libfontconfig1
  Depends: libfreetype6
  Depends: libice6
  Depends: libsm6
  Depends: libx11-6
  Depends: libxaw7
  Depends: libxft2
  Depends: libxkbfile1
  Depends: libxmu6
  Depends: libxrender1
  Depends: libxt6
  Depends: zlib1g
  Replaces: xbase-clients

So, you'd have to get all of them via wget/curl before you can install xclock.

> http://flavor8.com/index.php/2007/05/12/how-to-install-libdvdcss-on-ubuntu-feisty/
>
> I think maybe I have caused the problems through all of this. Got no idea.
>
>    /Just wondering does anyone know of any (prefer Ubuntu easy install)
>    *image batch programs *(eg, resize, contrast/bright, border, etc)?
>    At the moment I do a lot of repetitive manual processing or reboot
>    back to Win 98 to get this done./
>

> I appreciate all this help and feedback.

libdvdcss should be available straight off from one of multimedia repository, not provided by main repository probably due to some restrictions. Google(tm)'d first entry for 'libdvdcss ubuntu' shows -
http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2005/12/04/libdvdcss2-and-w32codecs-for-ubuntu/

Time for a brunch. starving! :-)

--
Cheers,