multifunction printer

Andrew Swinn andrew at swinndesign.com
Thu May 31 13:49:47 BST 2007

Todd wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am looking at purchasing a multifunctional printer, around the $90-120
> price range. Can anyone recommend a model that  is compatible with
> Ubuntu that can be purchased in Australia. I have researched the Epson
> range with appears to have Linux drivers for its printers but also have
> noted that Ubuntu Feisty seems to have a problem with the scanner.

We have an HP Officejet 4255 all-in-one (fax,scanner,printer,copier) and
it works flawlessly with pretty much anything. The only thing that I
have not had success with is printing directly from The Gimp as it
doesn't have this model in with the gimprint drivers. I dont really have
a need to print from The Gimp so I have not looked into this in much detail.

Price wise this printer was close to the $200 mark when we picked it up
but this was about 10 months ago now and mainly because of the fax
function which adds a bit of cost. I reckon the HPs are probably the
best way to go and I don't think I will give another brand a look at
considering the ease of use of this one with Ubuntu.

This printer is super economical with the ink too, I have only just
replaced the original cartridge that came with it. :)

Andrew Swinn