Ubuntu locks up on .cab files

Dimitri soft at feed.net.au
Wed May 16 02:41:43 BST 2007

Hi
Did you ever try to copy genuine XP Home and XP pro disks (for
unattended setup) on Ubuntu?
Ubuntu locks up (mouse jerks, graphics stalls) on copying
\SUPPORT\TOOLS\Diploy.cab of both XP home and pro disks to a Ubuntu
desktop. It took some 2 hours to copy 1.7mb file.
Fresh 7.04 or 6.10 –  same result. Other .cab , CD OK.

Also there are extra special characters in .txt files made or edited by
Ubuntu if you open them back in Windows.
Considering advertised compatibility of Windows and Ubuntu data formats
such pain with .cab archives and .txt looks very dodgy.
I know I could Google an answer but would every other migrant from
Windows to Ubuntu bother to spent a life time just read a text file ?

Dimitri Rytsk