Slow Ubuntu servers?

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Sun Jun 17 03:23:09 BST 2007

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 11:53:22 +1000
Chris Jones <chrisjones at comcen.com.au> wrote:

> I don't know whether it's just my ADSL connection doing funny things
> lately or not, but is anybody else having problems with slow Ubuntu
> servers?

Currently au.archive.ubuntu.com seems to be quick here ( close to my
maximum d/l capacity )

> I have tried the Main Server, Main Australian and several other servers
> which all seem to be relatively slower than normal.

Have you tried local mirrors? When au.archive has played up I have used

deb http://mirror.pacific.net.au/pub1/ubuntu/ feisty main restricted
deb http://mirror.pacific.net.au/pub1/ubuntu/ feisty universe multiverse

for example, with good results. I keep the archive.ubuntu.com entries at
the bottom of the /etc/apt/sources.list file as a fallback, and the main
archive security lines, so that the most recent security updates come
through, albeit somewhat more slowly since they are coming from the
canonical servers half way around the world...

Peter