Update Manager Error Message

Mark M Lambert mark+linux.ubuntu at marklambert.net
Wed Jun 13 05:28:27 BST 2007

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 09:50:01 +1000, "Chris Jones"
<chrisjones at comcen.com.au> said:
> When attempting to Update via the Update Manager, I get the following
> error message:
>
> http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/feisty/multiverse/binary-i386/Packages.gz:
> Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)
>
> What is this and how do fix it?

Easiest way is to run 'Software Sources' (from the Admin menu) and
change your server to the main server. Then reload when it prompts, or
do the old 'sudo aptitude update'

I was getting the error as well on the weekend, seems to happen every
now and again with the international repository mirrors. It is not a
problem at your end, the problem is with the server.
--

<mark at marklambert.net>