2 disk setup - slightly OT

Craig Ross craig at ventexwebdesigns.com.au
Wed Jun 13 03:58:27 BST 2007

Hi blair
In regards to your first question...

I have used a similar system on my laptop, I had one  that i used for
windows (i needed it for work) and then i had second drive that i used for
whatever linux distro i was using at the time.
The advantage of this for me was when i had problems during a linux install
and it removed my grub bootloader windows was still bootable when i went to
work.

It was this physical seperation that was the major benifit for me because no
matter what worked on my linux drive my windows was independant.

The disadvantage to this is that you have no means of transfering data from
one disk to another, i got around this by getting one of those USB external
drive bay things from ebay for less than $20 and that worked for me.

In regards to your second question...
I have had trouble sourcing Windows XP Pro upgrade cds since vista has been
introduced i have been told (may not be correct) that microsoft had stopped
distributing XP. So it may be important that you chase this up soon.

Regards
Craig Ross

On 6/13/07, Anthony Irven Scott <anthonyscott at comcen.com.au> wrote:

> blairg wrote:
> > I have a very old PIII desktop running Win98 and an old hp compaq nx9005
> > laptop running Win XP Pro. When it became clear that I was not going to
> move
> > to Vista I thought I would look at Linux and in particular, ubuntu. I
> wanted
> > to leave my two old machines as they were so I decided to construct a
> new
> > desktop PC. At seventy years old and not having previously constructed a
> > computer or used Linux this was/is some challenge but the new machine is
> now
> > running ubuntu - ADM 64bit 7.04. I have two programs that only run in
> > Windows and I would like to run them on my new machine. I don't want to
> try
> > and run them under Wine.
> >
> > What I have in mind is this:
> > 1] put the current internal HD (Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250Gb loaded
> with
> > ubuntu 7.04) into an external eSATA enclosure.
> > and
> > 2] put three partitions - ext3, a FAT32 and a NTFS - on my current
> external
> > HD (a Seagate 250 Gb in a Vantec NexStar 3 NST-360SU enclosure) and
> install
> > Win XP Pro in the NTFS partition.
> >
> > My hope is that my now "internal diskless" PC will boot up from whatever
> > external HD I plug into the eSATA plug on the computer case - ie, I will
> be
> > able to boot it to either a Windows PC or a ubuntu PC without having it
> set
> > up as a dual boot machine or having to change BIOS settings. Amongst
> other
> > things this will let me experiment with partition changes and do clean
> > re-installs of ubuntu (as I muck it up beyound my powers to recover a
> tidy
> > set-up !)on one disk without putting in danger my stable Windows setup.
> >
> > I have two questions.
> >
> > 1] is this likely to work ?
> > and
> > 2] what is my cheapest way of getting a legal copy of Win XP Pro ?. I
> have
> > the original Win 98 disk and Microsoft's 'Second Edition Udates' disks -
> > think they can still be up-graded to Win XP Pro but I do not know how. I
> may
> > also be eligable for an Win XP Pro oem licence - but again, I do not
> know
> > how to claim it or which is the cheaper. Can anyone clear up my
> confusion ?
> >

> > Thank you
> >
> > blair
> >

> Can't answer the first problem. But on the second, probably best to ask
> in a Windows group.

Craig Ross
0407283367
Ventex Web Designs