newbie help needed

Andre Mangan andremangan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 09:28:58 BST 2007

On 11/06/07, karebai <karebai at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hiya,
> Hopefully this will get through, nothing else has. We've finally decided
> to take the plunge and give linux a try. After having a look what was around
> we decided on Ubuntu. Nothing but trouble installing. After scouring forums,
> websites, and whatever else we could find that wasn't written for experts,
> we managed finally to get it up and running. Now for internet. Nope, our
> modem isn't supported. Back to the forums ... great ... known problem with
> 3com modems ... us along with near 1000 others ... OK ... we found a generic
> modem ... 40 odd files.. and surprise ... no instructions on how to install
> ... Can anybody help ... in plain aussie english, cos we are both reeling
> from the plethora of information that seems to take us nowhere ....
>
> Karen & Paul

Welcome to Ubuntu, Karen and Paul,

I read frustration in your message but am at a loss to identify your problem
other than modem issues.  Could you be more specific please.  Which edition
of Ubuntu have you chosen and what is the equipment that it is running on.
What files do you want to install.
What, broadly, is your geographical location.

There is plenty of help available.

Cheers,
Andre

andremangan at gmail.com