Repository Mirrors - how often are they updated

Melissa Draper melissa at meldraweb.com
Wed Jun 6 06:11:56 BST 2007

Daniel Mons wrote:
> I'm an iiNet user, and have never had any problems with their mirrors
> (Ubuntu or otherwise).  I find they stay within sync of the primary
> mirrors within 24 hours, which is good enough for me.  As already
> mentioned, if you're having some issues maybe contact tech support and
> find out if there's a problem somewhere between you and the mirror.

Up until late last year, I was with ozemail, which was bought out by
iinet, and hence gained free download status with the iinet mirrors.

My experiences with the mirrors, whilst good in many areas such as
Ubuntu, were overall fairly ordinary, for a long while there were a
number of breakages in the mirrors, specifically with FreeBSD, which
they kept blaming on the parent mirrors.

Now, while other mirrors syncing to the .au mirrors were fine and
in-tact, the FreeBSD ones in iinet's mirrors were infinately looped
and/or missing things -- like _every single file_ at one point. Their
mirror masters simply claimed that they had tried all the .au mirrors,
and they were all broken.

This was the one of the reasons for the switch from ozemail/iinet to
internode -- who have a fantastic free download area. The other reasons
of course include that internode accept that linux users do actually exist.

--
Sincerely
Melissa Draper

http://www.meldraweb.com