Repository Mirrors - how often are they updated

Gavin gmosul at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 5 15:10:09 BST 2007

 I've been an Ubuntu user for a little while now and enjoy a little tinkering
and tweaking as my experience and competence with it grows. A few months ago I
changed my repos to iinet's ftp mirror and thought that I was onto a good thing
- being an ozemail/iinet customer it wouldn't count toward my quotas.

However, I've found that updates were less frequent, and often failed to
download on first or second attempts. Lately, it seems worse - no updates fromm
the iinet mirror for several weeks.  If I change the repos back to the official
au mirror, or add other mirrors, within a few minutes there is a backlog of
updates waiting -- if I change straight back to iinet, the 'updates available'
icon soon disappears.

I suspect that iinet may not be updating its mirror very frequently, or having
some other problems. Apt and Synaptic work fine and normal package downloads are
usually very fast, so the iinet repo works, but I don't seem to be getting any
updates from there.

Any iinet Ubuntu users having similar problems? Other mirrors?