Fwd: Re: 3rd ide master prob

David Collins dcolli22 at csc.com.au
Tue Jul 31 04:09:43 BST 2007

James,

Yeah, I agree with Les.

Maybe also send us your devices that contain 'sd' or 'hd' in their name.
ie. output from the command -
      ls /dev | egrep '(hd)|(sd)'

Please let us know what the solution is when your find it. :)

Regards,
David

             Les Gray
             <lgray at bigpond.ne
             t.au>                                                      To
             Sent by:                  ubuntu-au at lists.ubuntu.com
             ubuntu-au-bounces                                          cc
             @lists.ubuntu.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Fwd: Re: 3rd ide master prob
             31/07/2007 12:54
             PM

On Tuesday 31 July 2007 11:01:43 James Takac wrote:

> /dev/hda        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
>
> think I should try hdc instead of hda?

Hi James,

how many IDE channels does your machine have? To me, '3rd IDE master'
sounds
like 'master drive on the third IDE channel', which would actually make
it /dev/hde.

But if you (more likely) have 2 IDE channels, primary and secondary, and
your
CD/DVD drive is third drive out of a possible 4 (ie. secondary IDE master),

then you should change your /etc/fstab to make it /dev/hdc.

Les