Fwd: Re: 3rd ide master prob

Les Gray lgray at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jul 31 03:54:49 BST 2007

On Tuesday 31 July 2007 11:01:43 James Takac wrote:

> /dev/hda        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
>
> think I should try hdc instead of hda?

Hi James,

how many IDE channels does your machine have? To me, '3rd IDE master' sounds
like 'master drive on the third IDE channel', which would actually make
it /dev/hde.

But if you (more likely) have 2 IDE channels, primary and secondary, and your
CD/DVD drive is third drive out of a possible 4 (ie. secondary IDE master),
then you should change your /etc/fstab to make it /dev/hdc.

Les