lost cd/dvd

Les Gray lgray at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jul 28 08:49:47 BST 2007

On Saturday 28 July 2007 13:46:35 Dale wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> Have you had a look to see if there is an entry in the /etc/fstab file
> for the cd/dvd rom?
>
> you should see something like this:
> <quote>
> /dev/hdb        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
> </quote>
<snip>

> > this is getting annoying at the moment as when I try to dload anything
> > via synaptic package manager it's asking for my install disk. And since
> > it no longer is able to read it, it fails to dload anything from the
> > repositories which means I can't even get libc6-dev in order to install
> > the nvidia driver
> >
> > any ideas?

You should also comment out the CD/DVD section in your /etc/apt/sources.list
if you don't use it . You're being asked for it because it's still there, and
by default apt prioritises local software sources over remote ones.

Also, you shouldn't need libc6-dev to install the nvidia driver. It won't harm
your system if you do install it, it's just that it's not necessary to do so.