Australian repository gone AWOL?

Cefiar cef at optus.net
Fri Jul 27 10:37:47 BST 2007

On Friday 27 July 2007 13:30:52 Peter Garrett wrote:
> Apparently Optus don't bother to have backup/ failover servers in place
> for this kind of thing...

FWIW:

I seem to remember the original mirror.optusnet.com.au mirror was actually
running on someone's desk at some stage, for quite a while, before it
actually moved to a data center.

> I have temporarily changed my sources.list to point at
>
> http://mirror.pacific.net.au/pub1/ubuntu/

Internode, who used to have a mirror that was only usable if you were in
Internode IP space, is now PUBLIC, so there is that one too. They have peer
links to PIPE, WAIX, SAIX and VIX, so anyone whose ISP deals with those peers
will probably have nice fast access.

http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/ubuntu/

BTW: For comparison, Pacific has peer links to PIPE, WAIX, VIX and AUSIX.
Between Internode and Pacific, they cover all the peering options available
to Australian ISP's, unlike Optus, who peer with no one.

> I can't say I'm very impressed with Optus' attitude to this. Evidently it
> is not high on their priority list.

I use them only for mail now. All my ISP business is currently with Internode.

They've been getting worse, and people I know who work there are seriously
looking for work elsewhere, as apparently, in their words, the management are
dropping the ball, and the place is going to hell.

 Stuart Young - aka Cefiar - cef at optus.net