Australian repository gone AWOL?

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Fri Jul 27 08:46:50 BST 2007

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 17:07:45 +1000
Paul Garrett <pgarrett at homemail.com.au> wrote:

> The first thing I do with an new install now is change the default
> server back to "main"

Unfortunately, if you have a high speed connection this means you lose
up to an order of magnitude in download speed. For instance on my adsl2+
connection the "main" archive is often around 120-150 KB/sec as opposed to
1- 1.2 MB/sec with the Australian mirrors.

I was on dial-up until last year, and in that situation the "main"
archive.ubuntu.com was fine ( if you call a maximum of about 5 KB/sec
fine ;-) )

> (and remove the CD entry - that's REALLY
> annoying).

Unless you have an "alternate" CD or DVD,  plus a lousy connection, in
which case such an entry saves bandwidth and time...

> I noticed some time ago that the Australian mirror was often
> days behind on critical updates.

You can include the archive.ubuntu.com lines at the bottom of your sources
- they will thus be available if the Oz mirrors are behind, with the
"caveat" noted above.

This does not, of course, alter the fact that Optus are dragging their
heels...

Peter