spell check

Daniel Mons daniel.mons at iinet.net.au
Mon Jul 23 20:57:04 BST 2007

Andre Mangan wrote:
> The question stands, why a UK dictionary?  They speak a different
> language up there.  I prefer an Australian dictionary.  Don't you?

Australian English *is* UK English.  Australian dictionaries are
typically just UK dictionaries with Australia-specific names, locations,
flora, fauna, Australian Aboriginal words/terms, etc added.   There are
no words in a UK English dictionary that we spell differently.

I too *prefer* an Australian dictionary where possible.  But where on is
not provided, falling back to a UK dictionary is fine, considering most
applications that care enough to support spell/dictionary support will
often supply at least both UK and US dictionaries in their default
installs.  The language they speak "up there" is spelled the same as
"down here" where it counts.

-Dan