Small help and recommendations

Trias aussietrias at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 19:43:48 BST 2007

Much thanks to you all for your help.

On 7/13/07, Les Gray <lgray at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> On Friday 13 July 2007 19:23:25 Trias wrote:
> > Ok i'm going ok so far here's my current focus.  Just humour
> me.  Pretend
> > you were a noob once :D
>
> <entering pretentious mode...now> (or should that be pretending?)
> >
> > 1) Whining on Wine?  Wine does in fact have a 64 bit version i got that
> > much going it seems.  There's a reference to a fake c:/ to put the
> windows
> > apps in which *seems* to be in my 'aaron' user folder but when i look it
> > isn't there.  Also if I do a seach under file system for winecfg nothing
> is
> > found even though typing 'winecfg' in the terminal brings up the
> config.  I
> > know getting wine to work with an app may take some effort so i'm not
> too
> > impatient here.
>
> your fake c:\ drive is actually in a hidden directory
> in /home/<yourname>/.wine . All hidden directories have a '.' in front of
> their name. To view them in a file browser, just switch to 'view hidden
> files
> and folders' (or similar...it varies) in the 'view' menu. Or just type the
> directory name in a terminal - cd .wine (if you're in your /home, or the
> full
> path if you're somewhere else).

ok thanks now i see me how do i keep the show hidden toggle set permanently?

winecfg is an executable located in /usr/bin . I don't know what you're
> using
> to search files but you could try this in a terminal - sudo updatedb
> (which
> updates what's called the 'locate' database - another way of searching
> files
> on your linux system). then type 'locate winecfg' and the path to winecfg
> will be displayed, as well as paths to any other files or folders which
> contain those characters.

great i can find it now in terminal and in gnome as well.  i'm getting the
feeling i need a commands list or something.

> > 2) Is it possible to install java (not just the firefox plugin) in the
> 64
> > bit ubuntu?  When i tried the official pages download i got a message
> > saying it was the wrong version, a 32 bit one.  I can't seem to find the
> 64
> > bit one on their site.
>
> yes, there is 64-bit java if you want it, but as you know, there's no
> browser
> plugin yet. the easiest method is to go to add/remove programs or synaptic
> and look for 'sun-java6-jre' and install it. This is the Sun Java packaged
> by
> the Ubuntu team, so it's included in the package management system (which
> allows you to keep an easy track of what you have installed on your
> system)
>
> you can also go to java.com, click 'free download' and choose 'linux x64'
> which will download the latest Sun Java release to your hard drive. Then
> it's
> a matter of following sun's instructions on how to install it. when done,
> you
> should run in a terminal 'sudo update-alternatives --config java' which
> will
> set the default Java version to Sun (so programs which need Java can
> access
> it readily).

ok i did that but in install instructions here
http://java.com/en/download/help/5000011400.xml#install

'su' said this.. "su: Authentication failure
Sorry.
"

i only know one password and i used it correctly.

> > 3) When i used MSOutlook i used calender contacts tasks and mail.
> > Lightning/sunbird was recommended but the lightning file does not
> install.
> > I would like recommendations for the others ie contacts, tasks.  I am
> using
> > thunderbird for email at this time.  Evolution which does have all those
> > was said to be fairly poor.

So far not sure which path to try on this.

> > 4) When i type ls which is one of the very few commands i remember from
> > unix i get coloured file names.  Is there a place to find out what these
> > colour codes mean?

righto i get this now.

> > 5) When i try to access my windows partition it asks for a password and
> > it's mostly hunky dory except that it doesn't remember it and later on i
> > have to do it again to see the 'disk' (eg in 'places' and the file
> browser)
> > and it's contents.  It is also set to read only.  Can that be changed or
> is
> > writing to a windows partition from linux error prone?
>
> see ubuntuguide.org section 'windows' on how to mount (access) your
> windows
> partitions easily within linux.

i've gone with the ntfs config gotta actually use it yet.

> > 6) How do i safely change the partition so the windows one shrinks and
> > linux one grows?
>
> can't help with that one, sorry. never tried it.

OK this issue will be delayed.

> > 7) Is there a good cd/dvd burning program you could recommend?
>
> yes. k3b, by a *mile*. It's designed for KDE but will integrate quite
> easily
> into GNOME (meaning all the functions should work 'out of the box' without
> having to do much setup). you can do heaps with it plus it's the most
> reliable linux burning tool I've ever used.
>
> another one is Gnomebaker which has improved its features but can still be
> little buggy.
>
> for very simple burning operations you can also just use the Nautilus file
> browser. just look up the Nautilus help from the 'Help' menu up the top.
>
> Nero also has a Linux version but you'll have to shell out for it. I used
> the
> trial version a year or two ago and it seemed to work OK. There weren't
> that
> many features, though.

i installed kde it was easy to do.  It loaded but not tested yet we'll see.