Small help and recommendations

Luke Knowles sonoftheclayr at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 13:37:37 BST 2007

On 7/13/07, Lisa <lisa at ltmnet.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 19:23:25 +1000, Trias <aussietrias at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > 4) When i type ls which is one of the very few commands i remember from
> > unix
> > i get coloured file names.  Is there a place to find out what these
> > colour
> > codes mean?
>
> There isn't really a standard to this, so it could well change on the next
> release, and does vary from distro to distro.
>
> > 5) When i try to access my windows partition it asks for a password and
> > it's
> > mostly hunky dory except that it doesn't remember it and later on i have
> > do it again to see the 'disk' (eg in 'places' and the file browser) and
> > it's
> > contents.  It is also set to read only.  Can that be changed or is
> > writing
> > to a windows partition from linux error prone?
>
> If you install ntfs-3g and ntfs-config you will be able to set up the
> mounting of your windoze drive so you have full read write access without
> the need for a password.
>
> > 6) How do i safely change the partition so the windows one shrinks and
> > linux
> > one grows?
>
> It's tricky, as you can adjust the end point of a partition without
> problems, but if you move the start point of the partition you will lose
> the data on it.
> I take it you have just the 2 partitions on your hard drive? first one is
> windows and the second one is Linux?
> If this is the case then you will need to reinstall linux after resizing
> the partitions.
> 1. backup your files on Linux.
> 2. boot into windows and defrag it 2 or 3 times
> 3. boot the live cd and use the installer to delete the current Linux
> partition and resize the windows one.
> 4. Create a new Linux partition and install there.
>
> If Linux is first and windows is second.
> 1. backup the files on your windows partition.
> 2. boot the live cd and use gparted to modify the partion sizes.
> 3. open a terminal and run: sudo grow2fs /dev/hda1 (or whatever the
> partition is - you may need to install grow2fs before you can run this)
> 4. boot into your Linux install and make a boot floppy:
>      cd /usr/share/grub/i386-pc
>      dd if=stage1 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1
>      dd if=stage2 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 seek=1
> 5. re-install windows
> 6. boot into your Linux install and run: sudo grub-install (so you don't
> need to use the boot floppy in future)
>
> if you don't have a floppy drive it can be gotten around by using the live
> cd.

I think the latest version of GParted can do this quite well. You might want
to try the GParted LiveCD from their website
(http:/gparted.sourceforge.net).

And for burning CD's and DVD's I also recommend K3b.

--
"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the
wise forgive but do not forget." - Thomas S. Szasz