Newbie Install Advice

Les Gray lgray at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jul 10 02:32:44 BST 2007

On Tuesday 10 July 2007 11:11:12 mike james wrote:

>I decided that I was willing to support a company that was at least
> developing skills in that area and would provide me with some
> entertainment in the meantime, hence cedega. I have paid a LOT more for
> games/consoles/3D cards, etc over the years. In fact I usually spend
> more money on pizza than cedega costs per month. (about $7 au depending
> on exchange rates)

It's not the amount of money, it's the fact that the product you get for it is
not really up to the level of quality where charging for it might be
justified. A year's worth of Cedega is roughly what you'd pay to keep, say,
Norton AV going (legitimately) on your Windows setup each year. Now I don't
imagine anybody would be too happy if that software had the same 'hit and
miss' quality about it that Cedega does.

the thing is, as I noted above, it's just not really feasible that the level
of quality expected from commercial software could ever be reached by Cedega.
Which is why, on principle, it should be free and open, like WINE.

btw, if anyone's curiosity has been excited by all this Cedega-bashing, I
recommend dropping by the forums at transgaming.org, which is simply filled
to the brim with satisfied customers (or not) ;)