Newbie Install Advice

Christopher Lees christopher_lees at iprimus.com.au
Mon Jul 9 15:10:52 BST 2007

Glad your experiences so far are good! Today I visited a guy who
recently installed Ubuntu - pretty good with computer hardware, but not
very good with software. He installed and set up the system without much
help at all, and made a lot of the same comments as you.

Installing software is very different in Linux. Since you're on 64-bit,
it will be a bit different again still, but you can find a lot of great
programs in the repositories (try Add/Remove Applications or Synaptic
Package Manager) which will save mucking about.

Linux is actually blessed with some pretty good deathmatch-style games;
I showed my friend Nexuiz, and when I left he was busily playing it on
his 42-inch plasma TV with surround sound amp :-) Just don't be afraid
to try something that's in the repositories, you'll find a lot of gems
and you'll probably enjoy a lot of it!