Newbie Install Advice

Les Gray lgray at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jul 8 12:32:07 BST 2007

Glad to see you're making progress. If you do end up installing 64-bit Ubuntu
you will find that you need to do a little extra work to get some things
going, though. For example, you need to run 32-bit Firefox to have the Java
plugin and Flash working hassle-free, because 64-bit versions of those aren't
available yet (this is the same with Windows). This will work, but requires
some extra set-up. There's some excellent info on how to go about this in the
64-bit section of ubuntuforums.org , which is a must read. There is also some
good 64-bit help at ubuntuguide.org .

I used 64-bit Ubuntu for about 6 months, and I didn't notice any performance
difference TBH. At this stage, any 64-bit OS - Linux, Windows or otherwise -
is only of benefit to people who require more than 4GB RAM eg. very large and
very intensive database servers. For the home user, there's no real benefit.
In fact, the software incompatibilities just mean extra work for you, which
is why I went back to 32-bit in the end.

Les