Wireless @ Beaumont st

Daniel Nixon dan.nixon at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 05:25:22 BST 2007

Hi list members,

I've just been to the launch of the new free wireless broadband on
Beaumont st, Hamilton[1].

Some people from the Newcastle Herald took some pictures of me using
my notebook in a cafe for an article that will probably be in
tomorrow's paper. Hopefully the picture they choose to use contains a
nice view on the Ubuntu sticker on my notebook's lid. ;-)

So everyone buy it!

On a more serious note I wasn't able to connect. :(
I used airodump-ng[2] and could see an access point that was probably
the right one because its mac address corresponded to the mac address
that two station's were connecting to. The two stations had
"wireless at beaumont" as their access point SSID which is what we want.

The problem is the access point I could see had something like <len =
0> as its SSID. It's unprotected as far as WEP/WPA goes and I tried
manually connecting to "wireless at beaumont" in network manager without
any luck (ubuntu feisty by the way).

My suspicion is that the @ symbol in the SSID caused problems. I'm
testing that at home now. Help?

[1] http://hamiltontown.com/