Xunbuntu6.10 and Ubuntu 6.10 from a Newbie

Tony Brow tbrow at tpg.com.au
Thu Jan 25 10:48:21 GMT 2007

Hi Gals and Guys (Ladies first).

The xubuntu 6.10 came to me via the APC Magazine. The installation took
3 hours plus and I did not exactly find this "lightweight and easy to
use" as advertised. The one thing that struck me whilst the installation
was going on, was that the language packs seemed to download forever and
I was not sure if  I cancelled the language packs (as indicated) midway,
if that would totally disrupt the installation.

After meeting Simon Wong and Pete Brown in  Brisbane , thanks again
chaps, I installed Ubuntu 6.10 on Simon's suggestion straight over the
top of Xubuntu. This only took about 40 minutes. Amonst the
exploitations of this new you beaut system, I played a couple of games
of Mahjongg. What is so important about this you ask. Well Mahjongg has
totally disappeared and I cannot find it back. How can  relocated it
please , people ??

Then came installing 'Evolution mail'.  Beautiful, to  receive mail, but
I could not send anything. Tried 30 test messages after the settings
changes in the 'preference ' part in edit section. At long last I tried
my TPG helpdesk in Sydney, to no avail. Then , Bingo ! In the 'security
section' the PGP/GPG part' was ticked and after unticking it ,
everything worked fine. The CD record for Ubuntu, came, in my case, from
Pete Baker (jellyware) in Sydney.

Trying to install Nautilus, for filing, is  a bit of a mystery. In the
Ubuntu 'Help section'  it says: use:
"Applications>accessories>Filebrowser".  Good idea. But...where do I
find ''Applications" . It is certainly not in the desktop top toolbar.
Any ideas, please ?

Finally, as it is a bit hard for some 'Ubuntuns' to travel to the City
for meetings. Are there any members in the greater Strathpine area,
interested to perhaps set up a meeting venue in this area ? Strathpine
seems fairly central for it's surrounding suburbs such as : Redcliffe,
Murrumba Downs, Bald Hills. Deception Bay, to mention a few .

Oh Yea, I did mention to the technicians  from "TPG" that Ubuntu is a
great program and that it can be obtained for under 2 dollars, iso
possibly $200 for Wondoze vista which alread has a 'service pack' on the
way before the official launch

rgds

--
Tony Brow <tbrow at tpg.com.au>