The new introductory site

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Sat Jan 20 10:29:45 GMT 2007

On Saturday 20 January 2007 13:22, Chris Jones <chrisjones at comcen.com.au>
wrote:
> I am aware that Ubuntu can be used on the Apple PowerPC structure. However,
> I was reluctant to include any information about it due to all Apple
> computers being sold now are using Intel hardware. Whether the PowerPC
> Ubuntu is compatible with the new Intel Macs, I have no idea. If somebody
> wants to email me and let me know that would be great. But until I am wiser
> on the issue, the mentioned information will be absent.

The standard i386 version of Ubuntu does work on Intel Macintoshes. There are
some caveats, but not being a Mac user I'm not too familiar with them. I
would assume that the x86-64 version would work on the newer Core 2 Duo based
Macs.

There are plenty of PPC Macs around, and they are not going to go away any
time soon. They are particularly well-entrenched in educational and
arts/design fields. Apple's conversion to x86 technology has cast a shadow
over its commitment to its legacy PPC hardware. Third-party vendors will
gradually phase-out support for PPC Macs.

People like to be assured that their platform will be continued to be
supported in the longer term. Witness how many Windows 98 era machines are
still in service. They have not been replaced largely because they still do
their jobs well enough. With Win98 unsupported, many users are increasingly
feeling compelled to upgrade to XP or Vista, which will in most cases require
the purchasing of new hardware.

With GNU/Linux, we can assure users of PPC Macs and Win98 machines that they
will be supported over the long run, without the costs of new software or
hardware.

Note that this does not necessarily carry across to Ubuntu. There has been
some talk of ceasing Ubuntu PPC development, but at this point it is likely
just a rumour or a far-off plan. Nevertheless, there are plenty of
distributions with capable PPC variants. Some, like Yellow Dog, focus in PPC
exclusively. It is still too early to say, but I suspect that the latest
generation of games consoles (all of which contain PPC processors) will
strengthen PPC free software development. The Cell processor (the processor
used in the PlayStation 3) is being pushed into servers, workstations and
consumer devices, and needs a good OS to run on it. Demand for PPC GNU/Linux
will not abate any time soon, but the nature of that demand will change with
time.

--
"The solution is patenting as much as we can. A future startup with no patents
of its own will be forced to pay whatever price the giants choose to impose.