LCA Open Day plans

Craige McWhirter craige at mcwhirter.com.au
Mon Jan 8 02:44:25 GMT 2007

On Sat, 2007-01-06 at 21:45 +1030, Paul Schulz wrote:

> I have no difficulties with Craige's suggestion..
> -- What demonstrations does he find the most effective for attracting people?

noisy, shiny, pretty.

supertux, gcompris, Wesnoth etc and Compiz. That stuff reels in casual
passer-bys, then you show them the less interesting meat: email,
OpenOffice, gimp, f-spot, depending on their usage. Heaps of other
standard everyday use apps so they realise it's all very familiar.

A digital camera, USB stick and an mp3/ogg player would be "musts" too.

A machine dedicated to showing off Compiz (3D) would be good - but don't
demo much else on it - many apps are allergic to a GL desktop. I'll rig
one of mine up for XGL.

"Ooh shiny" always catches eye balls.

--
Cheers,