using linux based ftp for file transfer

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Mon Jan 1 00:44:49 GMT 2007

<quote who="Andrew Swinn">

> If there is no menu entry under Applications it is highly possible that
> the gnome-panel needs a restart to find the respective menu entry for
> that application.
>
> A handy trick to remember after you have installed an application, but
> where a menu entry didnt appear is this.
>
> Open up the run dialogue by pressing Alt-F2 and type in
> 	'killall gnome-panel'
> and hit Run.
>
> This will stop your gnome-panel after which it will automatically
> restart, hopefully with an entry for your newly installed program.

You should *never* need to do that. If this happens (menu items that do not
appear for which the .desktop actually exists, and do appear after a
gnome-panel restart), you need to file a bug.

- Jeff

--
Open CeBIT 2007: Sydney, Australia              http://www.opencebit.com.au/

     "On Tuesday I saw Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon with Zack and two
             ladies whom I presume are gracious." - Seth Schoen