Chicken and Egg

The Wassermans dwass at optusnet.com.au
Fri Dec 28 23:41:05 GMT 2007

Having only recently loaded Ubuntu 7.1 on a spare computer, I am striving (on and off) to come to grips with it.  I plan, ultimately, to switch completely to Ubuntu if I can learn to live with it.  I have decided that the best way to determine it's suitability is simply to use it as much as I can and attempt to configure things as I go along.  But I have a chicken and egg problem - how to wean myself off of Windows (XP)?  I will also need to assess which, for me, are the most suitable OSS replacement for my favourite Windows based programs.  I figure this will take me a year.

First things first. Should I?:
1.  Set up a dual boot or,
2. Install a second HDD or
3. Simply network two computers?
In each case I might need some assistance/advice.

I have been watching, with great interest, the flow of emails from this group.  So much advice and information.  So much to know!  Trouble is I don't know what I don't know.  So I am tempted to save everything - just in case.  But that is ridiculous!  Does someone have a good management system for "just in case" information?  Maybe I should just ignore things that are not (yet) affecting me?

Compliments of the season to all

Dave W