Ekiga Progress

andremangan at gmail.com andremangan at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 20:34:34 GMT 2007

The Ekiga session with Chris did not work.

What I have discovered though is that the settings under Protocols seem to
be modem dependent.  The settings suggested by Chris worked  only partially
with a Siemens Speedstream 6520 and I was able to make a limited contact
with the echo service at sip:500 at ekiga.net.  The sound quality was very
choppy and there was no video feedback.

Next I used a Billion 7404 VGP-M (router has NAT enabled) which is very
considerably faster than the Siemens.  Yes, surprise, surprise - all modems
are not created to function at the same level of efficiency.

The protocol settings in Ekiga using the Billion were changed to read NAT
Traversal Method = IP Translation.  Stun Server = leave blank

ALL references under ALSA were changed from 'Soundblaster Live' to 'Default'
(this is important).

Now when I tried the echo test at sip:500 I heard this very pleasant female
voice introducing the echo service and then the screen changed to show two
video displays (incoming and outgoing).  Sound, however was still choppy.

On the assumption that the bandwidth requirements of video would detract
from the bandwidth requirements of audio, I reduced the bandwidth control
(in Protocols, Codecs, Video Codecs) from 8 (default) to 2 and the frame
rate to the halfway mark.  This may not be necessary for the faster
connection speeds.

Results: 1.  Your transmitted smile will linger for longer than intended.

              2.  Sound reception was now perfectly clear.

BTW, video is via a Logitech QuickCam IM and Camorama, driver V4L and the
echo test via the command line showed that sound reproduction (via
SoundBlaster Live) was fully functional.

That should be enough to enable somebody to join the experiment.

Next step, another attempt to use Ekiga with Chris.  This time I must first
comb my hair.

Cheers,
Andre