Ekiga, Skype, Messenger video calling

newcr newcr at mysoul.com.au
Fri Dec 7 02:58:05 GMT 2007

    /Dave Hall wrote:/
>     /On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 10:30 +1100, andremangan at gmail.com wrote:
>     /
>>     /After a few pointers from Chris, I am pleased to advise that Ekiga is
>>     now up and running.
>>     /
>     /
>     Care to share those tips with the rest of the list? :)
>
>     Cheers
>
>     Dave
>
>     /

Andre has agreed to a test call. Once that is successful, I will give
settings plus feedback on video and audio quality. No guarantees on time
frame.

What I sent Andre ....  (Assuming cam etc are set up OK) (Also after
researching problems with Ubuntu and web cams I bought a Logitech
QuickCam IM - It seemed to work out of the box fine however I did
install some cam programs before hand which may or may not have helped.
The IM is only VGA but I figured bandwidth would be an issue anyway. I
have not had any problems with the cam and am happy with it.)

        /I remember having registration problems. It took me a few goes
        to get it going. I didn't document what I did, so all I can do
        is give my current settings. Also I have only been able to test
        on the Ekiga Test account./

        /I assume you have registered a valid Ekiga account./

        /My settings are as follows/
        */Preferences/*

            * /Protocols/

            / /

                * /NAT Settings - Nat Traversal method =
                  none                             STUN Server     blank/
                * /Sip Settings/
                      o /No outbound proxy/
                      o /No forward URL/
                      o /Send DTMF is RFC2833/
                * /H.323    -  didn't set anything up as Ekiga defaults
                  to SIP (and I assumed MSN Messenger used SIP as well
                  but I think it uses a priority SIP (not sure))/
                * /I don't think there is anything else that helps here ...
                  /

            //

        */Accounts/*

            * /Ekiga Account/
                  o /Registrar     is       ekiga.net/
                  o /User             is       your user ID *without*
                    the "@ekiga.net"/
                  o /password   **********/
                  o /More options    (I think this just fills itself in)/
                        + /Login                           is
                          your user ID *without* the "@ekiga.net"/
                        + /Realm/Domain             is      ekiga.net/
                        + /Timeout         seems to default to    3600
                          /

        /I had a few goes at the set-up wizard and played around with
        settings but the above seems to work for me./

    /You can do Ekiga to Windows Messenger
    http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Connecting_Windows_Messenger_5.1_to_ekiga.net

    --
    Harrison/

I have seen this page before. I didn't try to get the other party to set
up ekiga.net as the SIP server but did try setting up the MSN SIP
account within Ekiga to communicate to the windows party. I couldn't get
that to work.