Laptop for Ubuntu

Mark M Lambert mark+linux.ubuntu at marklambert.net
Wed Aug 22 20:36:17 BST 2007

I've been running Ubuntu on my old Thinkpad T21 since 5.04 and the
Thinkpad support improves with every release. All the 'special' buttons
and the screen brightness panel applet works straight out of the box.
Only issue is battery life, but as an earlier poster said that should
improve with the tickless kernel when it arrives.

A nice aside: my laptop is not exactly cutting edge, it is at least 5
years old with only 256Mb RAM, but Ubuntu 7.04 runs well on it. It is
the only computer my flatmate had ever used, but recently I was away for
an extended period and my flatmate borrowed his sister's one-year old
Dell Windows XP laptop. After a week of using the new computer he
complained that it was slow and a nightmare to use, nowhere near as easy
as my laptop.
--

<mark at marklambert.net>