Laptop for Ubuntu

Tom Schinckel gunny01 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 08:44:57 BST 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-22 at 16:46 +1000, Christopher Davis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm contemplating purchasing a new laptop and plan on using it with
> Ubuntu as it's been a favoutite for the past 12 months and I don't
> want to change back to M$. I was wondering if anyone has had any
> success in running ubuntu on a laptop and getting most of the hardware
> working pretty easily. Also is anyone aware of any stores that are
> willing to sell laptops without V!$TA?
>
> Thanks
> Jim.

You could order from Someone like Emperor Linux, but they're pretty
expensive...plus shipping from the US/UK

A better soulution would be to buy a well supported laptop (Lenovo
Thinkpad T or X series with Intel CPU/GPU comes to mind) and install
Ubuntu. You aren't going to be able to buy any cheaper without linux, so
you may as well take Vista. On the plus side, you can downgrade Vista
Business (Which comes with Thinkpads) to XP Pro, which is great for
VMing.

tom