root authentication failure

John France john.h.france at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 14:25:46 BST 2007

Can someone please help?

I am trying to load Java into 7.04 by using the procedure as detailed by Java.
It tells you to get into Terminal and do SU. Once SU is entered you are asked
for the root password. Upon entering the pw an "Authentication Error" message is
forwarded. What is this " Authenication Error", and what can be done to rectify
this problem? Terminal doesn't give any indication of what it means. I have
rechecked and reentered my password several times, but the Auth Error still
comes up. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

John France