the weather is warmer... but Feisty is still freezing

Andre Mangan andremangan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 23:19:40 BST 2007

Good to learn that your fstab is now fixed.  As a result, I would say that
you have become more confident in using the command line in the terminal.  I
keep a book recording what commands fix what, a good practice to develop.
There is also one book that I can recommend:  Visual Quickstart guide to
Unix by Deborah and Eric Ray.  Although I have many books on Linux, the Unix
book surpasses them all.  There are also some excellent resources on the
net, such as http://linuxcommand.org that will unravel the mysteries of
Linux commands.

It appears though that something is still awry on your machine and the best
option really is to reinstall.

To save all the information from your present installation you could just
burn it onto a CD or two or three.  Alternatively you could buy a USB stick
with a larger capacity than the one you have.  I use several USB sticks, the
largest is 4GB but also use an external USB hard drive of 60GB that has a
cloned copy of my entire Ubuntu installation on it.  You could even try to
save all your data to a folder on your Windows partition but that is really
trying to put all your eggs into one basket.

Cheers,
Andre

andremangan at gmail.com